This good practice guide is based on research conducted in 2008 to explore the extent of service user and carer involvement in the higher and further education sectors in west and southeast Scotland.
This Guide is a tool to support the effective engagement of people who use services and carers in social work education. It is evidence-based and applicable to educators working in the social care field and beyond including health, early years and childcare.
The purpose of the Guide is to progress the involvement of people who use services and carers in all aspects of social work education by demonstrating the range of opportunities for involvement and explaining the key elements of good practice. The Guide has a number of key features:
• Identifies good practice
• Encourages consistent involvement
• Offers tools and resources for use in your work
• Highlights the benefits of involvement for staff, students and individuals
• Includes the personal testimonies of those with direct experience of involvement in social work education
• Proposes a model for making engagement work for everyone.
A dedicated website has been set up to accompany this Guide. You can download the materials included in the Guide, share your own examples of good practice and take part in discussions about the issues you are facing and the lessons you learn about what works.