Skye and Lochalsh Young Carers
The work of Skye and Lochalsh Young Carers represents an excellent example of several of the principles of Citizen Leadership.
The children and young people and the staff work tirelessly together to raise awareness of young carers among services and to ensure that these services can work with young carers to support them effectively.
They are a dynamic group who have made an incredible difference to how young carers are regarded and supported.
- "Special kids like us need and deserve special workers"
- "You’re like the moon surrounded by stars here (the Young Carers Project) – all talking to each other and looking friendly"
(5 year old young carer)
You can find out more about the Skye and Lochalsh Young Carers Project on their website http://www.skyeyoungcarers.co.uk/
The User and Carer Forum think that Skye and Lochalsh Young Carers are a good example of these citizen leadership principles:
- 1. Potential
- This group have strongly promoted the message that they should not be written off because they are young carers – they have the same potential to achieve their goals as other young people
- 5. Information
- The Young Carers have worked with organisations to produce information that is easily understood by young carers and people they care for
- 7 & 8. Control Through Partnership / Wider Benefit
- The Young Carers have worked in partnership with a number of different services and organisations to raise awareness and bring about change