Scotland's people: annual report 2009/2010 - Scottish household survey
The Scottish Household Survey (SHS) is a continuous survey based on a sample of the general population in private residences in Scotland.
The specific aims of the survey are:
• To provide household and individual information particularly to support the work of the Scottish Government’s transport, communities and local government policy areas and the work of the Scottish Parliament
• To permit disaggregation of information both geographically and in terms of population sub-groups (such as families with children or the elderly)
• To allow the relationships between social variables within households to be examined. This will support cross-analysis on a range of issues
• To allow early detection of national trends
• To allow detailed follow-up surveys of sub-samples from the main survey sample, if required.